Friday, October 10, 2008

Meeting Face to Face

Well, we had our first official team meeting this week. Everyone who is going on the trip was there...there's about 20 or so people. I know about half of them already, so that's comforting. And the other half seem great, of course.

There were also 3 or 4 people there who introduced themselves to us as "Senders". They aren't actually going on the trip with us, but they will be supporting us throughout our preparation for it, with logistical help, supporting us in any way they can, and also with a lot of prayer.

It was very humbling to know that these four people, whom I had never met before in my life, would be praying over me and the rest of the team. They have been to Kenya before, so they know what we're in for, what challenges we'll be facing, what kind of mental and spiritual stuff we'll be going through, etc. One of the Senders shared a verse with us that really rung in my spirit: "I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him," John 13:16. These Senders are just as important as us Goers, and I am more than in debt to them for their support.

We were all asked to fill out a survey listing what we are good at, so we can be placed accordingly while we're planning the activities for the trip...drama, music, arts/crafts, game time, etc. I always freeze up when I'm asked what I'm "good" at. It's like all the sudden I feel like I'm not good at anything; anthing at all! Something about that question just always trips me up. And I know that's part of Satan's plan, to plant doubt in our minds about our competance. I just have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't matter what I think I am or am not good at doing. God is going to give me abilities to reach the youth over there, and He will give me exactly what I need. So I checked off a few boxes, wiped the nervous sweat from my brow, and clicked "submit". Here goes nothing!

The team seems to be a really good mix of ages, experience, backgrounds, and passions so I am very interested to see how the dynamics work out.

On a different note, I need to be better about setting aside a particular and specific time to pray about this trip. I know I need to make this a priority in my prayer life, so I'm going to be setting aside time at 5:00am on each weekday to spend time talking to God about the trip. Hopefully I'll be spending more time listening, and less time talking. There are so many things to pray about for this trip, I hardly know where to start. I'm so nervous, and excited, and worried, and pumped about this opportunity all at the same time. I think I need to start my prayers by asking for an increase of faith that somehow, the money for this trip will be provided. That's been my biggest fear so far, is that I will end up not making the financial deadline, and unable to go. I need to let go of this fear, and just give it up to God. I know He is our real provider. The birds of the field don't starve, and neither will I.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm going to kick back and not do any work to raise money. I'm sending out support letters, will be having a jewelry show and selling some of my work to make money, and have taken a serious look at my finances and am cutting everywhere I can. I just have to keep reminding myself...God will provide...God will provide...God will provide...God will provide...God will provide...over and over.

I'm excited to have met the team, and to see the people embarking on this mission together.
I'm excited to meet my fears and doubts head on, because I know it will bring growth.
I'm excited to meet my financial goal, and know that once again, God provided.
I'm excited to meet the youth in Kenya, and invest time in them.
And I'm exicted to meet the me on the other side of this trip, who will hopefully have a more global view of love, a stronger grasp on perception, a deeper gratefulness for the context God has placed me in, and some new 'family' members.

No comments: