Monday, November 24, 2008

Peeling, Men's Pants, and the Luna Language

Over the course of these weeks, we have been attending training modules to get us ready for our trip. But our latest module, dealing with Cultural Training, was definitely the hardest, but the most instructive of them all.

We were coached through an activity called "The Lunas and The Eagles". I'm not going to get into the specifics of the game, but basically, here's how it went: They broke us up into to teams (The Eagles and The Lunas), and we had to learn how to interact with eachother while taking on these assigned cultural values, fears, and even different languages. I was on the Eagles team, and we had to approach the Lunas, who spoke a different language completely, and we needed to form relationships with them, understand them, befriend them, etc. It was so much harder than I thought it was going to be. The language barrier was SO frustrating! And of course, when we got in with the Lunas and realized that they didn't understand our language, we did what every other idiot in the world does when they aren't being understood...we spoke louder, and slower!!! Man, Americans are dumb. Why do we do that? I always see people do that, and I would think, "Um, they're not deaf, and they're not stupid. Speaking slower and louder won't help them understand you. They just don't speak English." But guess what?! There I was, doing the exact thing I had always seen other people doing. I started to speak LOUDER and s--l--o--w--e--r, like that would help.

Eventually, we Eagles had to re-group, figure out the Luna language, and try again. Our second attempt was much more successful, but still difficult. It may sound like just a silly little exercise, but it really taught us about how we need to approach the Kenyans, what we need to avoid, etc.

Also, during the meeting, we were informed of a few "No No's" during the trip. Most of them were things we had already thought of before...be respectful, be modest, don't be loud obnoxious Americans, etc. But there were a few things I hadn't thought of...

1. Absolutely no pictures in the Dubai airport.
They didn't give us the specifics, but I guess on the last trip over there, there was some inappropriate behavior and picture taking in the Dubai airport, and it caused some hullabaloo.
2. Absolutely no pictures of government buildings, or government officials.
They will assume you are spying on them, or gathering information, and you do NOT want them to assume that about you. No good will come from it.
3. If you are going to take a picture of someone, you must get their permission or their parents permission first.
A lot of adults in Kenya still believe that having their picture taken will steal their soul, and that is the last thing we want them to think we are doing.
4. Sunburn = bad thing.
We were reminded that most of the people we would come in contact with would not be used to seeing white people, let alone white people who are so badly sunburned that their skin is peeling off of their body. We will already be different and strange to them...we don't want to add "scary", "monstrous", or "diseased" to the list. We were strongly encouraged to get some VERY high SPF sunscreen, since we are so close to the sun over there, and you will get burned very easily. I will DEFINITELY be getting some hardcore SPF lotion to bring with me, and also hope to get some sun before I go, so I lessen my chances of looking like a scary, skin-peeling, whitey freak.

We were also given a list of words and phrases in Swahili that we should learn to help us while we are over there. If you show that you are interested in learning the language, people will warm up to you and help you much quicker. I'm trying to practice, but I'm really bad at memorization, so I just have to keep plugging away at it. (By the way, I'm pretty sure Swahili is easier than Luna!)

The women on the team aren't allowed to wear shorts while we are over there, so I've been searching for some light-weigh, cargo-style pants to wear while I'm over there. But guess what....they don't make that kind of stuff for women!! Every pair of cargo pants in the womens section is super tight, or has some kind of glittery embellishment on it, or it's made to fit the legs of a giraffe. (I'm telling you...go looking in the women's section in clothing stores, and you won't find any plain, cargo-style, lightweight pants...it just won't happen.)

Sooooo, I decided it was time to "reach across the aisle" and check out the dude's section. I was about 30 seconds into my search when I realized, "Hmm, I have NO idea what my measurements would be in order to fit these pants." Soooo, I left the store, came home, and got measured.

Ummmmm, this was a traumatic experience!!!! I won't tell you my measurements, but I'll just say this...I was sad that the waist number was bigger than the inseam number.

But oh well, this was NO time to have a pitty party and get all huffandpuff about me needing to lose weight. I needed men's pants, and I needed to find them ASAP, so I took my measurements, and went a' huntin'.


I was skeptical, because even if I found a pair of men's pants that matched my measurements, I'm still not built like a man. I mean, I've definitely got a wide-load wagon I'm draggin', and most men do not. But still, I grabbed a pair of pants, headed to the dressing room, got a weird look from the dressing room clerk (What ever lady, get over it!), and headed in with my cargos.


When what to my wondering eyes did appear? A pair of light-weight cargo pants, with plenty of room in the rear!


Man, these suckers fit me PERFECTLY! I mean, I can't tell you how much I struggle to find women's pants that fit me like this! No wonder men don't try their clothes on....they don't HAVE to! (You men, I tell ya what...just one more thing you have it ssssssuper easy about).


Soooo, I am now on the prowl, looking for more light-weight, cargo-style, men's pants (preferably with drawstrings at the ankles, but that's not a deal-breaker). Also, these are pants meant for Kenya, so no need for them to be fancy schmancy. They'll be getting dirty. I know some of you are probably already thinking, "Oh Andy, just go to L.L. Bean and they'll have exactly what you're looking for." Umm, thanks, but no thanks friend. These pants will be dusty, sweaty, covered in DEET, SPF, and B.O. I don't need to go dropping $80 on a pair of pants.


So, I found a $15 pair at Walmart, and a $15 pair at OldNavy.com, but I'm still on the lookout, so if you see anything like that, give me a shout out and let me know.


Also, here's an update on my fundraising!!!


I have met the $2500 goal that I owe the church to cover my trip!!!! What an amazing blessing! I'm really speachless about this. God is so amazing to provide, and my family, friends, etc. have been so awesome to be so generous.


I am still raising money (approx. $500) toward the personal logistics of my trip (immunizations, bug spray, etc.), but it is such a relief to have the bulk of the fundraising goal met and finished with!


Please continue to keep the entire team in your prayers. Lots of us are struggling with time management, fundraising, stress, family issues, etc. We even have one guy who has a broken foot, and is hoping to get the cast off rrrright before we leave for Kenya. Please pray that he'll be able to heal quickly!


Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone! Hope you have an amazing Monday!




No comments: